Thursday, April 17, 2008

HungerBytes Viral Video

I felt like the only angle to take with this assignment was to compare the costs of curing world hunger with the costs of our unpopular Operation Iraqi Freedom. I found out that with the amount of money we are "expected to spend" was 1.2 trillion dollars until there is any major change.

With 1.2 trillion dollars we could practically cure world famine, setup daycares for every 4 years old, and basically fix everyones health care in the world. I then did some research on how much money our government spends on the obesity epidemic. In 2004 the government had 75 billion dollars in obesity related expenditures, and only 5.7% of the U.S. population was considered obese. So that meant that 15- 17 million americans are responsible for basically wasting 75 billion dollars. Sooo... after I did just a little poking around I figured that I could make a pretty good video to accompany my message.

We, the educated, technologically proficient, developed world, need to take responsibility and fix this ridiculous problem... 800 million people in Africa are on the verge of starvation and go to bed hungry every night. After I found this Statistic I compared that to the amount of money America spends in (one year trying to Cure the Obesity Epidemic) + (Operation Iraqi Freedom) = 675 billion dollars, This is Enough money to buy food for those 800 million slowly starving people for almost 2 years (96 weeks)... Ridiculous I say ...


Sorry for not having the video ready in class. I think that I have made up for my tardy posting.

Here is the Video that I created by compiling clippings from other youtube videos.

Identifying Priorities

2 comments:

Mikela said...

I agree. It's interesting that we all took the approach of pointing out that poverty exists, and attempt to create awareness. I'm glad you took this approach. Good job on the video and the accompanying post.

christinac said...

WOW! I know you're not kidding with those facts but really?! Those numbers blow my mind! Nice research...this video definitely brings awareness to the cause and puts things into perspective. Great video, you'll need to enter it into the contest if you haven't already...I love the last two slides...very controversial!